I recently visited New Mexico and had a great time! If you are looking for recommendations on what to do in New Mexico, what to do in Albuquerque, or what to do in Santa Fe, you came to the right place!
New Mexico is often overlooked by many, but it should be on everyone’s list. There is plenty to do and if you enjoy outdoor activities, you will be in heaven. It is even the headquarters of Outside Magazine. We only had 6 days in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, so my list isn’t comprehensive, but it’s a starting point for some of the wonderful things you can do while there.
What to do in Santa Fe
- Walk around the plaza and check out the stores. Most of them carry Native American-made jewelry with beautiful turquoise stones.
- Walk down Canyon Road, which is famous for its beautiful art galleries.
- Check out Kawaka Chocolate House for some delicious chocolate.
- Get a margarita at any of the stops on the town’s Margarita Trail! We got one at the bar at Hotel Fonda.
- Go to the Bell Tower Bar at Hotel Fonda for beautiful views of the city and surrounding mountains.
Where to stay:
Inn of the Governors. This hotel was absolutely adorable and the staff was very nice. They have a daily sherry hour where they provide a sherry tasting, cookies, and have tea and coffee.
Where to Eat:
- Del Charro Restaurant
- El Callejon Taqueria and Grill
What to do in Albuquerque
Go to Petroglyph National Monument. We walked the Boca Negro Trail, but there are 3 different areas to choose from. Throughout the hike we got to see ancient drawings carved into the rocks between 400-700 years ago!
- Sandia Peak Tramway. This is the longest tramway in the States and we could see for 200 miles! At one point our tram was going over a canyon and our guide told us that the Eiffel Tower could fit between the bottom of the tram and the ground! We had tea and beer at the restaurant at the top, Ten 3. The views from up here are stunning.
- Take a hike at Tent Rocks National Monument. It’s about an hour drive from Albuquerque. This was one of our favorite parts of the trip and personally, I think it’s somewhere you shouldn’t miss on your trip itinerary. The slot canyon is so unique and the cave loop trail offers stunning views of the mountains.
- Get a drink at the Apothecary Bar at the top of Hotel Parq Central.
- Go to any of the many breweries in the city. We went to Bosque Brewery and Marble Brewery, but there are dozens more to choose from.
- Relax and drink wine at Casa Rondena Winery.
- Walk around Old Town Albuquerque. There are cute stores and a lot of Native American-made jewelry.
Where to stay:
Hotel Parq Central. The staff was so nice, the rooms are beautiful, the hotel is historic, and they have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within 2-3 miles of the hotel.
Where to Eat
- The Grove
- La Farina Alta
- Church Street Cafe
- Farina Pizzeria
One thought on “What to do in New Mexico”
I’ve never spent much time in New Mexico but it looks really wonderful! Your hike looked amazing 🙂