A few weeks ago I went to New Orleans and it was awesome! We stayed at the Marriot on Canal street and highly recommend it. It was in the perfect location. Two blocks from Bourbon Street, one block from the French Quarter.
While we were there we were lucky enough to experience the French Quarter Festival. The entire quarter was filled with food and drink vendors and local artists. There were also bands playing on almost every street and at all times of the day.
Here are a few things I recommend doing while you are there:
- Take a Voodoo walking cemetery tour. We went through GrayLine and our tour guide was great. Very knowledgeable and kept me interested the entire time. If you are an AHS fan, you can also see the tomb of Marie Leaveau.
- Take a haunted history tour of the Garden District. This part of NOLA should not be missed. It is unlike the rest of the city and absolutely gorgeous. While you are there check out the Lafayette Cemetery where they also filmed Double Jeopardy. It is also home to a restaurant where Emril started cooking years ago. This is also the location of many celebrities homes such as Sandra Bullock, John Goodman, the Mannings, etc.
- Go to Port of Call. This is located at the end of Bourbon Street and has good burgers and drinks. We spent a lot of time there.
- Take a swamp tour. We saw ten alligators on our tour and went through the bayou.
- Cafe du Monde. One word: delicious! If you know anything about Nola it’s that their beignets are famous. Don’t miss this! We recommend going in the afternoon as the morning is very busy.
- Walk down Bourbon Street. It is the hub of activity and filled with bars and restaurants.
- Head to Southern Candy Makers. They are famous for their tortues!